Niue – Questions
Use this article here to help answer the questions below, highlight the answer.
1) This week it is _____ language week.
- a) Samoan b) Tongan
- c) Fijian d) Niuean
2) What is Niue often referred to as?
- a) The sun spot of Polynesia b) The Rock of Polynesia
- c) The tiny island nation d) The heart of the Pacific
3) Who was the first European settler to sight Niue?
- a) Captain James Cook b) Captain Jack Sparrow
- c) Captain James Busby c) Captain Hook
- i) When did he sight Niue?
→ Captain James Cook sighted Niue but was refused landing by the locals on three different attempts.
4) How many attempts did Captain Cook make to land in Niue?
- a) Three b) Two
- c) None d) One
- i) Why do you think the people of Niue refused to let him set foot on shore?
→ Captain James Cook was the first European to sight the island, but he was unable to land there due to fierce opposition by the local population
5) What is the population of Niue
- a) 1,200 b) 16,00
- c) 1,600 d) 500
6) Why are the people of Niue considered to be New Zealand citizens?
→ because there wasn’t that much room on their island
7) There are more Niuean people living in Niue than anywhere else in the world?
- a) True b) False
8) Find one interesting fact about Niue and write it here:
→It is one of the least visited countries in the world.